September 10, 2009

The Lovely Bones

Everywhere I go these days I've been hearing about the Lovely Bones, and I hate to admit it, but I'm feeling possessive!


I first read this book about five years ago when I saw it's bright blue cover calling out to me from the shelf at Chapters. I took it home that night, curled up in bed and opened my new baby, holding it just right so I didn’t crease the pages. I finished the book the next day and was officially in love (although for the first few chapters of the book I wondered if I was brave enough to keep reading).


Wanting to share my new discovery, I leant it to my mom for her trip to Mexico. Since she loves to read as well, I was excited for her report when she got home. “What kind of book did you give me to read!” she cried, “I sat there on the beach with tears streaming down my face!”


I was pretty surprised at her response, and when I dug deeper I discovered that she never made it past the first few pages (let’s just say they include details about the rape and murder of a little girl by a serial killer… not for everybody). I made her take the book back and keep reading. She loved it of course.


I’ve always thought of myself as its greatest promoter, its one true solemate. So imagine my surprise when I sat down in the theaters waiting for my feature presentation, and without warning, am bombarded with images that seemed oddly familiar.


“What movie is this?” I whispered to my friend beside me, “Why do I know this.” Halfway through I realized I hadn’t seen it before, but read it before. They made a Lovely Bones movie. My secret is out.


Is it wrong of me to want to keep this to myself? Even if it is, I have no choice since a glance at the Chapters website names it in the top five Heather’s Picks of all time. And when my friend called me to ask me if “I’d heard of this book called the Lovely Bones”, I knew my fight was over.


I've thrown in the towel, waved my white flag and opened my door to change, so join me in celebrating one of “Melanie’s Picks” and let’s start our countdown to one of this winters soon-to-be greatest movies… t-minus 92 days and counting!

2 comments:

  1. You and me both Mel!

    As good as he is at novel adaptations, I've got to say that I'm fairly skeptical that Peter Jackson (read: LotR director) is taking on a script and a subject as delicate as The Lovely Bones.

    And I don't have a lot of faith in Mark Wahlberg in such a serious role (they orginally cast Ryan Gosling but he backed out).

    But I watched the trailer a couple of times and I'm willing to give both Petey and Marky Mark a shot to stay true to Sebold's haunting, beautiful story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read it before I had my daughter, and loved it; I dragged out the last 30 pages or so because I couldn't stand for it to end.

    With that said, now that I'm a Mom I can completely see where yours is coming from: if I were starting it today, I doubt I'd get through the first few chapters.

    Oh, and Sarah, I think Marky Mark may surprise you... we'll see!

    ReplyDelete